Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pallet potting table.

Here is my new potting table!


I know this is not a sewn, knitted or spun item, but it is handmade so that's ok, right? Jamie and I spent the weekend building a potting table for our garden. My parent in laws were visiting and gave us a lot of help also with this endeavour. To be fair, Jamie is the total brains and brawn behind this creation, my role was more as the 'artistic director'. 

I have dreamt of having my own potting table ever since we moved to Newcastle and rented a house with a yard. Potting tables can be as unique as your garden is. Most often they are crafted from re-purposed materials that the gardener has managed to salvage from a local source. Random bits are nailed, glued and screwed together to create something for the garden that is functional, and in my case, pleasing to the eye.


This potting table is completely made from pallet timber I was able to obtain forfree from a retired gentleman who lives near the town where I work. He builds chicken coops and bird breeding boxes in his spare time and was only too happy for me to take what timber I needed. I did offer to pay him for the timber, but he replied with a smile "I would be offended if you paid me, please take as much as you need". He spent almost 45 minutes with me discussing my design plans and selecting the perfect pieces for the project from his substantial timber pile.


Pallet timber is ideal for this kind of project. It is cheap, or possibly free, and is a standard size. Pallets are made from outdoor wood so this table will survive being exposed to the weather. What I also prefer is the timbers 'rustic' look. Every piece is weathers differently. Knots. Stains. Splinters. All slats are unique.


I am considering adding some nails or hooks to the upper part of the timber frame, to use as a place to hang my gardening hand tools whilst I am working.Rhonda also uses a potting box to prevent wasting some of her soil while she is potting. I am hoping I can whip one of these up with all the off cuts I have left.


Below is the photo I found on pinterest months ago that I used for the inspiration for this potting table. The table was made by Bruce at www.thedesignpallet.com. The image has been sitting in my Gardens folder for some time, waiting for me to get my hands on some pallets.


Jamie was really pleased with how similar his creation was to the inspiration photo...


We finished the potting table as the sun was setting, so I am yet to actually use it to pot any seeds. Winter is a difficult time to garden as night falls before I am home from work, leaving me unable to garden most evenings. Sometimes I do a spot of weeding before work, but that depends on the chill in the air and me not hitting the 'snooze' button. I am sure this table will get much use though next weekend!

Sam xox

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! A great project to undertake.......

    I also had the thought that maybe the slats from old bbqs might be repurposed if old pallets were not available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that would work perfectly! My sister in law made a potting table by repurposing an old timber bbq. She removed the metal part then laid an old door across the top. It turned out great.

      Delete
  2. That has to be the BEST potting bench I've ever seen! Well done.

    I've just discovered your blog via Littlegreenvillage - and am glad I did. It's nice to 'meet' another 'green' novocastrian blogger :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to 'meet' you Ticia. Thanks so much for your comment. Jamie put in a lot of hard work and also think he did a fabulous job. I am very lucky to have such a nice potting bench. It definitely beats sowing seeds while kneeling on the wet grass. xox

      Delete
  3. Nice work, Sam! Bruce from The Design Pallet here - I am so pleased that my potting bench has inspired you, and I have no doubt that you will get a lot of pleasure from your piece. It's really well done, and I'm impressed! If you want more inspiration, you can check out the pallet section of my website - maybe you can give the night stands a try next! http://thedesignpallet.com/pallets

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete